BC Hydro introduces a COVID-19 Relief Fund to help customers who have lost their jobs due to COVID-19. The Relief Fund delivers support to you now, when you need it most. If you’re a residential customer and you or your spouse/partner have lost employment or have become unable to work due to COVID-19, you may be eligible for free credit on your BC Hydro bill. The Relief Fund provides you with a credit to your account to reduce your bill. The credit will be equal to three times your average monthly bill. You will not have to pay this back. The application window opens next week and you can apply until June 30, 2020. This new fund is in addition to the other services we offer:
- The COVID-19 Customer Assistance Program gives you the option to defer payments or arrange a flexible payment plan to help you pay your bills.
- The Customer Crisis Fund grant is a one-time grant for residential customers dealing with financial hardship of job loss, illness or loss of wages.
To be eligible for the COVID-19 Relief Fund for residential customers:
- You need to be a residential account holder and have had your account prior to March 31, 2020
- You need to meet the eligibility criteria of the B.C.Emergency Benefit for Workers
- You or your spouse/partner have lost your job or have become unable to work (including self-employment) since March 15, 2020. Examples of being unable to work:
- Being quarantined or sick with COVID-19
- Taking care of a family member who is sick with COVID-19
- Having children who require care or supervision due to school or daycare closures
You must be able to upload verification of eligibility, such as a copy of your application or approval for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, Emergency Benefit for Workers, federal Employment Insurance or Record of Employment.
There is a maximum of one COVID Relief Fund bill credit per household.
Not eligible for this program?
If you aren’t eligible for the COVID-19 Relief Fund, learn about other programs available such as the Customer Crisis Fund or the option to defer payments or arrange a flexible payment plan.
How to apply
Once our application is live, eligible residential customers can apply online to receive a bill credit of up to three months of your average electricity consumption. Applications can be submitted until June 30, 2020.